Prep time: 25 min | Cook time: 2 hours 15 min | Makes: 8 servings with leftovers for soup later in the week
This one recipe makes two hearty dinners: a roast with chunky vegetables and a satisfying soup.
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2012.
- 8 small potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 4 carrots (about 1 lb/ 500 g), coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- Quarter of a small cabbage (about 1 lb/500 g), coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) canola oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Italian seasoning
- 1 boneless sirloin tip beef roast, about 3 lb (1.5 kg)
- 2 cloves garlic, slivered
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium reduced beef broth or water
- In a roasting pan, combine potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with parsley and Italian seasoning. Toss gently to combine; set aside.
- Cut little slits all over the roast and tuck slivers of garlic into each. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Place roast in skillet, until brown all over. Remove roast and pour in broth. Scrape up brown bits and pour broth over vegetables. Combine mustard and pepper and spread all over roast. Place roast onto vegetable mixture. Cover roasting pan with foil
- Place roast in preheated 325 F (160 C) oven for about 2 hours or until meat thermometer inserted in centre of roast registers 150 F (65 C) for medium. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
Reserve one third of the roast and 4 cups (1 L) of the vegetables for Cabbage and beef goulash (recipe below). Place remaining roast on cutting board and slice thinly. Serve with remaining vegetables.
Cabbage and beef goulash: Chop leftover beef roast into bite-size pieces and place in pot with reserved vegetables. Pour in 3 cups (750 mL) sodium-reduced-beef broth and 1 cup (250 mL) of water with 2 tsp (10 mL) paprika. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until heated through. Makes 9 cups (2.25 L).
Posted: December 2012
Cabbage and potato mustard roast
- Calories: 252
- Protein: 27 g
- Total Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 56 mg
- Carbohydrate: 18 g
- Sodium: 185 mg
- Potassium: 630 mg
per serving: Cabbage and beef goulash
- Calories: 134
- Protein: 14 g
- Total Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg
- Carbohydrate: 9 g
- Sodium: 314 mg
- Potassium: 376 mg