This easy soup matches sweet carrots and tangy apples. Serve with a sandwich or salad to keep you satisfied longer.
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2012.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 6 carrots (about 1 1/4 lb/625 g), chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) mild curry powder or paste
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown or green lentils
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups (1 L) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 2 empire, golden delicious or cortland apples, cored and chopped
- Hot pepper sauce (optional)
- In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook carrots, onion and curry powder for about 5 minutes or until onion softens. Stir in lentils, thyme and garlic. Pour in water and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Add chopped apples and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils and carrots are tender.
- Puree soup in blender or food processor in batches until smooth and return to a clean pot. Heat through and stir in hot pepper sauce to taste if using.
Tip: This soup freezes well in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Posted: December 2012