Tender and flavourful, hearty beef gets added zest from slow simmering with spice and fruit. Serve it spooned over your favourite rice or couscous side dish.
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©Heart and Stroke Foundation 2012.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 2 lb (1 kg) lean stewing beef
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) each ground cumin and ground coriander
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 hot chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sodium reduced beef or vegetable broth or water
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 12 dried apricots, halved
- In a shallow Dutch oven or tagine pot, heat oil over medium high heat and brown beef. Reduce heat to medium heat and stir in cumin and coriander to coat well.
- Stir in onions, garlic, ginger and chili pepper and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until onions have softened. Pour in broth; bring to a simmer and cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Stir in apricots and cook for about 30 minutes or until beef is very tender.
- Uncover and stir in zucchini; cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Tip: Try this easy tagine with lamb or veal for a different meat option.
Posted: November 2012